The use of improved multipurpose crops offers an opportunity to upgrade from a feedstock that only yields a single product to a new multipurpose feedstock that can be integrated into a modern biorefining process. This practice delivers multiple valuable bioproducts that are suitable for established as well as evolving markets. Such approaches offer an important alternative market for European agriculture in a period where subsidized production of bulk products is being reduced significantly.
Moreover, MultiBioPro aimed to achieve the following output:
- Novel products from multipurpose crops
- New biocomposite materials, bioethanol, non-food oils, biodiesel, high-added value products
- Advanced fundamental scientific knowledge to highlight potential exploitation
- Improved means of producing important plant derived bioproducts from cheap renewable biosources that have a reduced impact on the environment
- Reduction of Europe’s dependence on oil for the petro-chemical industry in order to improve self-sustainability, reduce dependence on volatile markets, improve food and energy security